vocabulary Level 9
trenchant = ___________________
ephemeral = ___________________
pontificate = ___________________
Please print this English word list then write the answers.
Copyright Sapporo Eikaiwa AGreatDream.com
Vocabulary related facts:
- Vocabulary is a strong indicator of student success (Baker, Simmons, & Kame’enui, 1997).
- The number of words students learn varies greatly:
2 vs. 8 words per day
750 vs. 3,000 per year
- Printed school English, as represented by materials in grades 3 to 9, contains 88,533 distinct word families (Nagy & Anderson, 1984).
- 88,533 word families result in total volumes of nearly 500,000 graphically distinct word types, including proper names. Roughly half of 500,000 words occur once or less in a billion words of text (Nagy & Anderson, 1984).
- In grades 3 through 12, an average student is likely to learn approximately 3,000 new vocabulary words each year, if he or she reads between 500,000 and a million running words of text a school year (Nagy & Anderson, 1984).
- Between grades 1 and 3, it is expected that economically disadvantaged students’ vocabularies increase by about 3,000 words per year, while middle-class students’ vocabularies increase by about 5,000 words per year.
- Children’s vocabulary size approximately doubles between grades 3 and 7.