Top 10 Study Tips – Below are a few ideas from Kenneth Beare on studying English effectively. Thanks Kenneth.
There are many ways to study English, but many students ask which is the most effective. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a single answer that is right for every student. However… I can certainly give advice. Here are some helpful guidelines as to how to study that should help. Warming-up to Study English Just as there are exercises to help you warm up before you play some basketball or other sport, there are exercises which can help you warm up to study English. Here are some simple exercises to help you warm up. Top 10 Study TipsIf you are in Sapporo, Hokkaido and interested in face-to-face English lesson, feel free to contact us any time. We also offer online lesson to people living outside Sapporo.
Study English – Tips for Success Here are some study for success to help you as you study English.
- Study English I: Activating Your Vocabulary Activate your vocabulary by thinking or speaking briefly about the subject you are about to work on. For example, if you are going to study English on topics that focuses on vacations, take a moment to think about your last vacation, what you did, what you enjoyed, etc. This simple exercise will help your brain warm-up to vocabulary that you are likely to encounter as you study English about this particular subject.
- Study English II: Activating Your Grammar Activate your grammar by thinking about the general grammar area before you begin to study. For example, if you are going to study English grammar focusing on the past, stop to think about what you did last weekend, where you went, etc. to help activate what you already understand about using the past. As with activating vocabulary, you’ll help your brain bring up what it knows about the past simple in an easy way before you begin to focus on studying English grammar in detail.
- Study English III: Singing a Song Before class begins, or before you sit down to study English sing a song in English to yourself. Make sure to use a song that you understand and know very well. This short and fun exercise will help your brain focus on the English language in a relaxing manner. It’s important to be relaxed when you study English! Singing a song also helps activate the creative side of your brain which can help you come up with more examples as your practice conversation or do some creative writing.
- Study English IV: Typing a Short Paragraph in English If you going to study English at your desk, begin by typing a simple paragraph in English. You can type about your day, your hobbies, your friends, etc. Anything will do. Typing helps activate the kinetic part of your brain that helps improve learning through physical activity. I also recommend typing while you study your English grammar. This will help solidify your knowledge with movement.
- Study English V: A Thousand Words … As the saying goes in English: A picture is worth a thousand words. Help activate the creative side of your brain by trying to describe a photo or other image. You can combine use this also to activate your vocabulary by choosing a picture that has something to do with the subject your are going to study in English.
- Study English Every Day It’s important to study English every day. However, don’t exaggerate! Study for thirty minutes every day instead of two hours once a week. Short, steady practice is much better for learning than long periods on an irregular basis. This habit of studying English every day will help keep English in your brain fresh.
- Study English Using Different Methods to Learn Don’t just use one way to study English. Use a variety of methods which will help all the parts of your brain (multiple intelligences) help you. For example, if you are learning new vocabulary, create a word map, describe a picture, make a list and study that, type out the words five times. All of these methods together help to reinforce your learning.
- Study English by Finding some Friends There is nothing like having a few friends to study English together. You can practice the exercises together, have conversations together (in English!), and, as you study English together, help each other with exercises you may not understand.
- Study English by Choosing Topics that Interest You One of the most important things to do is to study English using topics that you like. This will help motivate you because you will also be learning about a topic you find interesting while you study English.
Marty Lobdell – Study Less Study Smart
Data from the University of Michigan and the University of Hawaii