札幌 英会話 スクール AGREATDREAM
How to prepare and cook the zucchini
- Cut a zucchini into 5mm thick circles.
- Put the cut zucchini into a bowl, with just enough water to cover the pieces.
- Put a microwave safe lid on the bowl.
- Microwave at 500W for 5 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Eat after it cools down a bit.
Health benefits of zucchini (courgette)
- At only 17 calories per 100g, they are great to use in weight reduction and cholesterol control programs.
- They contain no saturated fats or cholesterol either.
- The peel is good source of dietary fiber which offers some protection against colon cancers and helps reduce constipation.
- Relatively moderate source of folates, consists of 24 mcg or 6% of RDA per 100g. Folates are important in cell division and DNA synthesis.
- When taken adequately before pregnancy, it can help prevent neural tube defects in the fetus.
- Very good source of potassium which is a heart friendly electrolyte and important intracellular electrolyte; helps reduce blood pressure and heart rates by countering effects of sodium.
- Fresh zucchinis are rich in vitamin A; they provide about 200 IU per 100 grams.
- Golden skin zucchinis are rich in flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants such as carotenes, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- These compounds help find and remove harmful oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) from the body that play a role in aging and various disease process.
- Fresh pods, are good source of antioxidant vitamin-C. They provide about 17.9 mcg or 30% of RDA per 100g.
- Good in B-complex group of vitamins like thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin and minerals like iron, manganese, phosphorus, zinc and potassium.