• 250g dried medium egg noodles
• vegetable oil
• 350g steak, thinly sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
• a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
• 1–2 large fresh red chillies, finely sliced
• 200g peanut shoots or bean sprouts
• soy sauce
• sesame oil
• juice of ½ a lime
• 1 large red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
• a handful of snow peas, finely sliced
• a handful of baby corn, quartered lengthways
• 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
• a bunch of fresh coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
• cos lettuce leaves, to serve
Cook the egg noodles in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain, place in a bowl and set aside.
Heat a large wok or a heavy-based frying pan until very hot. Add a splash of vegetable oil, then stir-fry the beef slices with the sliced garlic, ginger and chillies until just cooked. Add the shoots or bean sprouts, a good splash of soy sauce and sesame oil and the lime juice for the last 30 seconds of cooking.
Tip the contents of the wok into a large bowl, including all the lovely juices. Put the wok back on the heat, add a splash more vegetable oil and all the vegetables. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the cooked noodles and toss well over the heat.
Divide the fried vegetables and noodles between 4 plates. Return the beef and juices to the wok and stir-fry until heated through. Add the coriander and toss until well mixed with the beef. Arrange on top of the noodles and garnish with a cos lettuce leaf.